Hats and Scarves

Hats and Scarves
Hats and Scarves

A Year and a Half Later

A Year and a Half Later
A Year and a Half Later

Monday, May 16, 2011

Hair!!!!! Last Herceptin!!!!! Survivorship!!!!!

Tomorrow is my last Herceptin, hopefully I'll have the port removed by the end of the month, and my hair is growing.  It's been one heck of a year.  A year of trials and a year filled with more blessings than I could ever imagine. 

I was asked recently "HOW DID/DO YOU GO FROM BEING A PATIENT TO BEING A SURVIVOR?"  Here is my answer - "Wow this is a tough one - I just had my one year mammogram, only one more Herceptin to go, survived mastectomy, chemo and radiation, on my third type of AI (the doctor keeps changing them hoping it will help with the pain), I'm still very fatigued and lots of pain (from the AI's? residual side effects from chemo and radiation?). I'm waiting to feel like a survivor, and wish it would happen soon, instead, I just keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. So at this point I still feel like a patient. I'd sure appreciate any tips on how to move on to feeling like a survivor. I like the idea of the the survivorship plan and the retreats."
Well, I'm happy to say, that in the last couple of weeks, I've gone from feeling like a patient (one who wrote that pathetic answer above), to feeling like a survivor.  So what helped me go from patient > survivor?  I'm not sure, but these may have contributed to the change -
  • 1 year appointment with my surgeon
  • a good mammogram report
  • last Herceptin coming up w/port removal
  • proactively dealing with the lingering side effects of treatment (find out what can be taken care of and what I will have to learn to live with)
  • started yoga, swimming or walking almost every day
  • conscious effort to stop thinking the negative thinking
  • pray more for the grace to trust in the Lord
We choose how we handle the trials that come our way - my FNP recommended a book - "Managing your Pain Before it Manages You" - I think that can apply to a lot of things in our life besides pain - we don't choose a lot of the things that happen in our lives, but we can manage the way we deal with them!  So - now I can truly say, though I still am a patient, I'm also a SURVIVOR!!!!

And on another subject - I'm reading this wonderful book, "The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer", recommended to me by an oncology nurse.  It's kind of a big book, but worth the time, it's a fascinating history of cancer and cancer treatments, it reads like a good murder mystery, I can't wait to see how it ends!! 

God Bless you,
Linda

2 comments:

  1. You continue to amaze me with you honesty and heart of seeking after the Lord. With or without hair, you are beautiful, because it comes from within... Survivor indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to search for cancer cure so that was how I found a lady called Peter Lizzy. She was testifying  to the world about the goodness of a herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kinds of disease and the herbal man's email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_sakura for my younger sister's help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whats app him +2348110114739  you can follow him up on Instagram @herbalist_sakura for the cure, he will help you out with the problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me davidclara223@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete