Hats and Scarves

Hats and Scarves
Hats and Scarves

A Year and a Half Later

A Year and a Half Later
A Year and a Half Later

Monday, May 17, 2010

5/17/2010 Chemo - 1 Down - 5 To Go!

I can feel any lurking cancer cells saying their good byes before DYEING!!!!!

Today was my first Chemo day, we were there from 9-5, having labs drawn, seeing the Dr. and his nurse, who gave us all the info about what was going to happen, what to expect, what to be concerned about, what to watch out for, and what do if/when I get the issues. Then six hours on an IV, actually through my port that was placed below my right collar bone, first giving me saline, so that I would have to use the bathroom at least once an hour while I was there.

Then the "Chemo" started - first they gave me mega doses of Benedryl and more steriods (I'm already taking high doses of steriods for three days - good bye sleep, I hear that by the end of the week though that all I'll want to do is sleep). Next came the actual "Chemo" drugs Taxotere, this is the one the are most worried will cause an allergic reaction on the first treatment, next Carboplatin, everything went well. The taxotere kills cancer cells that are growing, and Carboplatin kills them at rest. I will be receiving these every three weeks for 6 treatments total.

Then came the Hercepitin - this is actually a targeted therapy, it's an antibody that works against HER/2neu positve cancer cells, given in conjuction with the Chemo on my chemo days, but is also give weekly during the "6 treatment phase" I will receive it 3 times for every Chemo treatment, after that I will continue to receive this every three weeks for a year.

So far I feel fine, but it's probably because I have so many phramaceuticals to keep me that way for the next day or two. By Thursday these drugs will all wear off, and I may not feel so good for a few days, but they've covered their bases there too, with more drugs if needed.

7-14 days after these treatments my white cells drop and it's much easier for me to develop a serious infection - that's the time to stay away from sick people and crowds.

Good News - starting next week with my weekly Herceptin treatment I will get to receive the rest of my treatments in Florence, barring any issues - YaaHoo! That will make the day easier.

A word on my prostheic breast and bra - you can't tell the difference from a real one, it feels comfortable, looks great, is easy to use, you can take it swimming. Sometimes I even forget that I dont' still have the real one, kind of weird actually.

Thank you all for your continued prayers - they make a world of difference. I'm so blessed with my family, friends, neighbors, acquaintances. Small towns are a wonderful place to be, it's amazing how people that you barely know are there to pray for you, and help you, and they really mean it. Sure makes me feel bad about the times that I could have been there for others, but I just didn't get it done. Hoping to change that in the future.

TTFN - more on this new Lifes Adventure soon.

Through the prayers of the Mother of God - O Saviour Save us!!!

Linda

1 comment:

  1. You area and have been in my daily prayers, and at every Liturgy here. May the Healer of souls and bodies grant our request.

    Fr. Richard

    ReplyDelete